Last updated on November 18, 2015.
- The Information we Collect;
- How we Use the Information we Collect;
- Information Sharing and Disclosure;
- Online Analytics and Tailored Online Marketing
- Information Access and Retention;
- How we Protect Information;
- Communications Choices;
- Linked Sites and Marketing Content;
- Users from Outside the United States;
- How to Contact Us;
- Your California Privacy Rights; and
- Changes to this Policy.
1. The Information we Collect.
How we collect and store information depends on the websites you visit, the activities in which you participate, and the Services you use. Several categories of information are collected from you, as described below.
Information You Provide
We may collect information about you during your use of the Services, including your name, username, password, email address, postal address, phone number, mobile phone number, payment information, device model and serial number, and other information you provide or post on our Services or allow us to access when you do certain things, such as:
- Make a purchase;
- Provide registration information and/or create an account;
- Use our SMS, email, or Pebble Health sleep and fitness services;
- Enter a sweepstakes or contest or register for a promotion;
- Participate in our blogs or online forums;
- Request certain features (e.g., newsletters, updates, and other products);
- Download or use one of our mobile applications;
- Contact customer support;
- Apply for a job posting;
- Use Pebble developer apps or developer blogs;
- Connect with the Services or otherwise allow us to access certain information about you via a social networking service; or
- Post user-generated content.
If you register on our online developer website (cloudpebble.net), you will have the option to link your registration to your GitHub account and we will be able to collect your GitHub profile information.
Please be careful and responsible whenever you are online. Should you choose to voluntarily disclose information through the Services, such as via our blogs or public forums, that information can be viewed publicly and can be collected and used by third parties without our knowledge and may result in unsolicited messages from other individuals or third parties.
When you use the Services, there is some information that we collect automatically, as discussed in this section.
Device Usage and Analytics Information.
We may automatically collect certain information about the computer or devices (including mobile devices and Smartwatches) you use to access the Services. As described further below, we may use third party analytics providers and technologies, including cookies and similar tools, to assist in collecting this information.
- Website Data. When you use our websites, we may collect and analyze information such as your IP address, browser types, browser language, operating system, the state or country from which you accessed the Services, referring and exit pages and URLs, platform type, the number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed and the order of those pages, the amount of time spent on particular pages, the date and time you used the Services and upload or post content, error logs, and other similar information.
- Developer tools. If you use our developer tools on cloudpebble.net, we may also collect information such as the software version number, the tools you use, error logs, project size, type of resources and APIs used, and how often you use them. If you would rather not send us this information through the developer tools, you can visit the developer tools documentation for information regarding how to opt out.
- When you use the Pebble app store, we may collect information such as your user ID, device serial number, search queries, and the apps you downloaded or stored.
- Mobile Device Data. When you access the Services via a mobile device, we may collect information such as geolocation information (as described in the next section below), unique device identifiers (e.g., a UDID or IDFA on Apple devices like the iPhone, and iPad) and other information about your mobile phone or other mobile device(s), such as operating system, version, and time spent in different parts of our mobile app and other apps on your phone.
- Smartwatch Data. When you use a Smartwatch and our mobile apps, we collect certain analytics information about your use of these services (such as features and third-party apps used, log files, buttons pressed, and support requests and results). For example, if you choose to display event information from your calendar or from a third party website (e.g., Facebook or Yelp) to your Smartwatch timeline, we may collect information such as the number of events, title length, number of participants, durations, alerts, from what site the event came from, and other similar information. We collect and use most of this information solely in anonymous and aggregate form, but maintain log files in identifiable form for a period of time for troubleshooting and other purposes. This information helps us improve our products and services, troubleshoot bugs, and analyze device errors. Within your settings for the Smartwatch app, you may elect to disable analytics on your Smartwatch, although please be aware that disabling analytics may interfere with your ability to use certain apps or features, for example personalization or recommendation services.
Pebble SMS/Email Services.
If you would like to use our email or SMS services on your Smartwatch, we will ask for your permission to collect certain information to help us provide these services to you and to analyze usage and performance of these services. If you use our SMS service, depending on the mobile device platform you use, we may collect information that includes, but is not limited to, your phone carrier, message success/failure rates, and other similar information to help us provide and improve the service. To use our SMS service, you will be asked to provide us with access to your contact lists stored on your mobile device so that we can facilitate your communications and actions through the service. If you do not provide such access, you will not be able to use this service. If you use our email service, depending on the mobile device platform you use, we may collect information that includes, but is not limited to, which email accounts you choose to sync with your Smartwatch, the actions you take with respect to the messages you receive (e.g., archive, delete), message transmission success/failure rates, message character/word count, and other, similar statistical information. We use this information to identify the account with which your actions are taken and to provide and improve the quality of the service. We may also collect your authentication credentials or authentication token to retrieve your emails and to facilitate your replies and actions. We do not store the contents of your SMS or email messages or your authentication details on Pebble’s servers any longer than is required to send messages that you initiate. We also do not share them with third parties (other than our partner email and voice recognition providers so the messages can be transmitted) or use them for marketing purposes. If you no longer want to use these services, you can turn them off through your account settings. For more details about the types of information we collect on each mobile device platform, please click here.
Pebble Health Sleep and Fitness Service.
If you would like to use Pebble’s Health sleep and fitness services, we will ask for your permission to collect information about your Smartwatch’s motions throughout the day and night to provide you with information about your behaviors such as sleep patterns (when you wake up, when you sleep, sleep stage, etc.) and daily fitness activity (e.g., number of steps taken per minute). To make these services more accurate for you (such as to estimate the number of calories you have burned), you have the option to provide information including your gender, age, height, and weight. You will also have the option to receive more personalized fitness and sleep insights if you give Pebble permission to combine the data collected through the Health sleep and fitness services with other data from your watch. For example, if you enable the combination of your health, sleep, and fitness data with your timeline data, we can provide you with personalized communications about when your schedule will permit a workout, or we can let you know if you have an extra hour to sleep in. Through your account settings, you can turn off personalized insights or the collection and use of all health, sleep, and fitness data by Pebble.
Pebble Voice Recognition Service.
If you choose to use the Pebble voice recognition service, you will be able to send voice-enabled messages through your Smartwatch and mobile app, record voice messages, and use voice commands. To provide, improve, and troubleshoot this service, we collect analytics information on the use of this service, such as the length of the recording, the number of characters and words recognized, whether the user confirmed the accuracy of the recording, language spoken, and country/state of the speaker. We may also maintain limited audio recordings and recognized text (disassociated with your name or other unique identifier) to evaluate the effectiveness of and improve the service. We use a third-party speech recognition voice service provider to assist in providing this service to you. By contract we only allow the service provider to use the information collected to perform the services on our behalf and for some limited internal uses to improve the voice recognition services. The service provider’s use and disclosure of aggregated and/or de-identified information is not restricted. If you would like to opt out of the use of analytics in connection with the voice recognition service, please use the settings within your Smartwatch app.
When you install our mobile app, you will be asked to grant access to your mobile device’s geolocation data. If you grant such permission, we may collect information about your precise geolocation information (i.e., your real-time geographic location), and may use that information to customize the Services with location-based information and features (for example, to provide you with relevant weather information through your weather app or on your Smartwatch timeline based on your location). If you access the Services through a mobile device and you do not want your device to provide us with location-tracking information, you can disable the GPS or other location-tracking functions on your device, provided your device allows you to do this. See your device manufacturer’s instructions for further details.
Cookies and Other Electronic Technologies.
We may also use local shared objects (also known as “Flash cookies”) to assist in delivering special content, such as video clips or animation. Flash cookies are stored on your device, but they are not managed through your web browser. Please see the Adobe website for comprehensive information on how to delete or disable Flash cookies.
Information from Third Parties
Anonymous or De-Identified Data
2. How we Use the Information we Collect.
We use the information that we collect in order to:
- Provide you with the services and products you have purchased or requested and send you information about your relationship or transactions with us;
- Notify you about new features of the Services, special events, and send you newsletters;
- Administer sweepstakes and contests;
- Generate and review reports and data about our user base and Service usage patterns;
- Analyze the accuracy, effectiveness, usability, or popularity of the Services;
- Provide you with support and improve the content and features of the Services or develop new Services;
- Personalize the content and marketing that you see on the Services;
- Permit you to obtain materials that enable you to develop applications if you use our developer services;
- Send you marketing emails about Pebble products, software updates, and third-party products, software, and services that we believe may be of interest to you;
- Send you push notifications about Pebble products and third party products and applications that we believe may be of interest to you on your mobile device if you have given us permission to do so;
- Update third party applications that you have downloaded to your Smartwatch;
- Help prevent fraud and enforce the legal terms that govern your use of the Services; and
- Administer and troubleshoot the Services.
3. Information sharing and disclosure.
- We may share your information with our service providers who use your information on our behalf to assist in business activities such as delivering certain features or services, order fulfillment, payment processing, marketing, and other similar services. These third parties are prohibited from using your personal information for promotional purposes.
- If you choose to download or install third party apps, we may share your information with such third party apps to assist in providing the app (e.g., step count, seconds active in the day, calories, distance walked, total sleep, restful sleep, time fell asleep, time woke up, and whether you are currently awake, active, or sleeping). As explained in Section 8 below, any information collected by these third party apps is subject to their privacy policies.
- When you sign up to participate in a contest or sweepstakes, your information may also be provided to our sweepstakes or contest marketers, operators, or sponsors and the use of that information will be also governed by those marketers’, operators’, or sponsors’ privacy policies or practices.
- We may disclose your information when we believe in good faith that such disclosure is necessary in response to any subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process we receive, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or to defend against legal claims.
- We may disclose your information when we believe it appropriate in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding possible illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of the Terms of Service for the Services you accessed, and/or to protect our rights and property.
- As we continue to develop our business, we may sell, buy, merge or partner with other companies or businesses, or sell some or all of our assets. In such transactions, user information may be among the transferred assets.
- We may provide your identity and mobile device identifier to third party app store providers (e.g., Apple iTunes Store) to allow you to download our mobile apps.
- When we otherwise have your permission.
4. Online Analytics and Tailored Marketing.
We may use third-party web analytics services on our Services, such as those of Google Analytics. These service providers use the sort of technology described in the Automatically-Collected Information section above to help us analyze how users use the Services, including by noting the third-party website from which you arrive. The information collected by the technology will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Services. We also use Google Analytics for certain purposes related to online marketing, as described in the following section. To prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-on by clicking here.
Tailored Online Marketing.
When using a mobile application you may also receive tailored in-application marketing content. Each operating system, iOS for Apple devices, Android for Android devices and Windows for Microsoft devices provides its own instructions on how to prevent the delivery of tailored in-application marketing content. You may review the support materials and/or the privacy settings for the respective operating systems in order to opt-out of tailored in-application marketing. For any other devices and/or operating systems, please visit the privacy settings for the applicable device or contact the applicable platform operator.
California Do Not Track Disclosure.
We are committed to providing you with meaningful choices about the information collected on our Services for third party purposes, and that is why we provide above the NAI “Consumer Opt-out” link, DAA opt-out link, and Google opt-out link. However, we do not recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do Not Track signals, as the Internet industry is currently still working on Do Not Track standards, implementations and solutions.
5. Information Access and Retention.
You may email us to correct or change any information by using the contact information below in Section 11.
We will retain your personal information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with the Services or any information you have requested. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information, contact us using the information below. After you cancel your account, we will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
6. How we Protect Information.
We have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and help prevent unauthorized access, to maintain data security, and to use correctly the information we collect online. These safeguards vary based on the sensitivity of the information that we collect and store.
7. Communication Choices.
8. Third Party and Marketing Content.
The Services may contain links to third-party websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of those third-party websites.
9. Users from Outside the United States.
Your use of the Services may involve the transfer, storage and processing of your information to and in various countries around the world where our servers are located and our databases are operated that may have different levels of privacy protection than your country.
The Services are aimed at a general audience and are not directed to children under 13. Our data collection and use practices adhere to the United States Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). We will not knowingly collect personal information directly from children under 13 years old without parental consent. If we become aware that we have collected personal information directly from a child under 13 years old (without the necessary parental consent), we will delete the personal information provided by the child.
11. How to Contact Us.
12. Your California Privacy Rights.
California law permits users who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, a list of the third parties to whom we have disclosed their personal information (if any) for their direct marketing purposes in the prior calendar year, as well as the type of personal information disclosed to those parties. As explained above, Pebble does not share personal information with third parties for their own marketing purposes.
13. Changes to this Policy.